Thursday, August 27, 2009

Backups Made Easy with clickfree Transformer

With all the talk about the importance of backing up your files, I had starting using some external drives for piece of mind. I had originally started using a Acomdata drive, which has served me well. Except for capacity, it's very similar to the AcomData PureDrive 1 TB USB 2.0/FireWire 400/eSATA Desktop External Hard Drive PDHD1000UFSE. The drive is now full with pictures as well as a complete backup of the 120 GB Drive on my IBM Thinkpad.


For some time I had been thinking of how I was going to use the Seagate FreeAgent 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive ST310005FDA1E1-RK I had picked this up at a very good sale and it was still in the box.

Then I read about a new easy way to back up all of your 'data' files (not system and programs). It's called the clickfree Transformer from Storage Appliance Corporation . You first connect the clickfree to a USB port on your computer. You then connect the included USB cable between the clickfree and an external drive. The clickfree acts like a smart bridge between the computer and the external drive. The built in software in the clickfree, searches your computer for virtually all of the data types and then simply copies them over to the external drive.

The first time I used the clickfree Transformer, it took approx 2 hours to copy all of my document files, pictures, movies, sound files, email backup. I did this at night, just before going to bed and I didn't wait up.

Now, the incremental backups take just about a minute or two!

As with many of my electonic purchases, I bought my Clickfree Transformer over at Amazon. As you can see, the price is very right!

Although I've never used a Mac, the Quickstart Guide does include directions for use with Mac OSX Leopard 10.5 or later .





No comments: